Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Little More Salamina

   I am off to Athens this morning, on a mission to buy Jewlery supplies.  I plan to take photos on the way, and thru the week, show you how I get into Athens from the island, and bits of the city.
 
   This morning, I will leave you with a few more photos of Salamina.




Octopus air drying at a Taverna

Lunch Anyone?


St. Nikolas Monastary

This monastery is high in the mountains and is practically deserted.  It is said there are only 2 or 3 "KaloGrias" (Good Grey Women, the Greek term for Nuns)



Epidivros Amphitheater 

Our Amphitheater...our house is directly across the bay from the theater, about halfway up the mountain. Every summer, the theater hosts everything from Classical Greek plays, to rock concerts.  There is a fantastic view from up there, plus a very picturesque "Mama Mia" style church, where everyone vies for a reservation for their wedding.

2 comments:

  1. Sherry, I'm SO enjoying your blog! It's wonderful to "tour" Greece, and to see it (and read about it) through the eyes of a local. I can't wait to show John when he gets back! The amphitheater is lovely. Octopus? I'm not sure. I used to see them in Spain a lot in markets and just off fishing boats. You know, they're supposed to be highly intelligent?

    Keep the blogs coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are enjoying my Blog...I am enjoying it myself. Yes, I did know they are very intelligent, they are also very yummy, grilled and accompanied by Ouzo!

    ReplyDelete

Followers